The earliest record of Hockey being played in Singapore was in 1902 when the Royal Engineers introduced the game on the field of the Singapore Recreation Club. The Singapore Hockey Association (SHA) was formed and registered with the Registrar of Societies on 8th July 1931. At the time the Association was affiliated with the English Hockey Association.
The Association was formed largely through the efforts of Mr Donald Hoblyn and Mr J S de Souza. The founder affiliates of the Association were the Singapore Cricket Club, the Singapore Recreation Club, United Services, the Singapore Indian Association, the Ceylon Sports Club, and the Police Sports Association.
Mr O R S Bateman was the first President and Mr J S de Souza the first Hon. Secretary.
There was no Association to govern hockey throughout Malaya and Singapore and the Singapore Hockey Association took it upon itself to arrange games for Malaya. The most outstanding pre-war event was the visit of the Indian Olympic team in June 1932, on it’s way to the Olympic Games in Los Angeles. On a water-logged pitch in Anson Road Stadium, the Indian team beat all Malaya 7-0.
The SHA controlled Hockey for men and women and it was not until 1939 that the Singapore Women’s Hockey Association (SWHA) was formed.
During the Japanese occupation (1942 – 1945) the SHA ceased to function.
Hockey was resuscitated in 1946. Affiliation to the International Hockey Federation was sought and obtained in 1948.
In the 1949/50 season the SHA organised the first competition in the history of the game in Singapore.
In 1992 the SHA and the SWHA merged to form the Singapore Hockey Federation. The first President of the Federation was Mr Davinder Singh MP.
Since then, Singapore Hockey has been the driving force behind the country’s blossoming hockey culture, building a progressive programme to cultivate new talent, and taking the hockey community further.